Apply Visit Give
International Students Apply.jpg

International Student Admissions

Coming to study in Canada is a big step to take and may seem overwhelming at times. We want to make your transition to Providence as simple and clear a process as possible. We realize travelling internationally to attend a post secondary education of your choice requires a in-depth application process, with lots of steps along the way. So, we are committed to walk alongside of you. We will provide you with information about admissions, costs and the student visa process. Please scroll further down and read each section as they contain important information regarding the application process.


COVID-19 Update

Please make sure to check the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for important updates regarding international student travel. Click here to visit the IRCC's COVID-19 Update Page

Things to know before you apply:

1: Know what program you are interested in. The University College offers undergraduate degrees while the Theological Seminary offers graduate degrees. 

2: Ensure you satisfy the entrance requirements and English Language requirements for the relevant school found below

3: Check the application deadlines for the September and January intake dates. Apply at least three (3) months before the start date to give enough time for application processing and for your visa application

4: Review the tuition fees and costs. These may change without any notice

5: Complete the online application form. The application fee is CAD$ 150 and can be paid by the following methods: through the online application form or through Western Union. The CAD$ 150 fee must be paid before your application can be processed, and is non-refundable. For more information on methods of payment, see the menu below.

6: Submit the supporting documents as stated in the Application Checklist below

7: You will be informed about your application status. If you are accepted, make the confirmation of enrollment deposit (non-refundable CAD$300)

8: Once the deposit is received, an acceptance letter will be sent to you and you can then apply for your study permit

9: Know the arrival and orientation dates as stated on your acceptance letter

10: Inform the International Student Services Co-Ordinator regarding your visa application status so arrangements can be made to pick you up from the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport


Apply Now

Please select the appropriate form:

University College (Undergraduate Studies) - Bachelors Degrees

University College (Graduate Studies) - Masters in TESOL or TTESOL

Theological Seminary - Masters in Counselling and Counselling Psychology

Theological Seminary - All other Masters programs

Theological Seminary - Doctor of Ministry


Starting your application

When you start your application, you will receive an email from Providence University College & Theological Seminary with a link to your application form. Please keep this email as it will allow you to log back into your application in case you are still working on it (otherwise, you will have to start your application all over again). Make sure to check your spam folder for this email. If you have already started the application, but cannot find the email with the link, please let us know and we will resend you the email. You can email us at or contact your assigned enrollment officer directly.


Application Deadlines

If you are already in Canada with a valid study permit, you may apply for admission after these deadlines

September 2021 intake (Fall): July 31, 2021 (international students who already have a valid study permit may apply for admission by August 15, 2021)

January 2022 intake (Winter): November 15, 2021


Designated Learning Institution (DLI)

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), "a designated institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students." Providence has been granted the DLI status. For more information, please visit the following IRCC link:


Important Information

Please visit the International Student Information page to know the arrival and orientation dates


If you are an international student who is interested in applying to Providence, please email or call 1-800-668-7768.

As a parent of an international student, we know you have a lot of questions. We are here to answer them. Learn More

We welcome students from the United States to join our diverse community. Learn more

English is the language of instruction at Providence. If English is not your first language you must submit an official test score as part of your application. Once enrolled, if you appear to be struggling academically, additional English testing may be required. If your test results indicate the need, you will be required to improve your English skills through our Modern Language Institute before you can resume your regular studies.

English Proficiency Scores

We are now temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test of 115 or higher, as well as the IELTS Indicator as alternative options for English Proficiency testing.

To be accepted to Providence you must have a TOEFL score or IELTS score or English proficiency score equivalent. See English Proficiency Score Requirements Chart.

Providence will convert your score to Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) for placement. You may email, fax or mail your official scores to our International Enrollment Officer. Please use the institutional code 6585. If you have a high enough score you may enter Providence directly, as long as you meet entrance requirements. If you do not meet our required score you must begin your studies in our Modern Language Institute.

English Proficiency Waiver Options

A student may not have to provide English proficiency scores if they provide supporting documentation to show they meet at least ONE of the conditions below:

  1. Ten consecutive years of residency in Canada that may include years of study in Canada
  2. Three years of full-time education in English at secondary (high school) or post-secondary (university or college) levels in Canada
  3. Graduation from a Manitoba high school (for which domestic admission requirements apply)
  4. Graduation from a Canadian high school (for which domestic admission requirements apply)
  5. Graduation from a Canadian curriculum high school outside of Canada with at least one Grade 12 English
  6. Graduation from an American high school curriculum outside of the US with at least one Grade 12 English
  7. Providence reserves the right to request additional documentation which may include the submission of a standardized test of English.

English exempt countries include: Anguilla, Antigua, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Belgium, Bermuda, Belize, Botswana, Canada, Denmark, Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire), Dominica, England, Ethiopia, Faroe Island, Fiji, Finland, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Malta, Malawi, Mauritius, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Norway, Scotland, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States of America, Wales, Zimbabwe, and Zambia.

Additional Information

  • It is possible for you to have the official test score requirement waived. If you have successfully completed three years of secondary or post-secondary education at an institution that uses English as the language of instruction, please submit an official transcript. Further information about the institution or the instruction may be required before the waiver is granted.
  • If you have been in English classes in Canada and have CLB scores, please submit them in lieu of an official test score.
  • Providence reserves the right to require you to submit proof of adequate English skills before admission, regardless of your educational background, citizenship status, country of origin, or stated primary language.
  • Some programs, such as Counselling, require excellent speaking and listening skills in English. Additional English testing may be required before you are admitted.
  • CLB8 is required for entrance into undergraduate programs. CLB9 is required for entrance into graduate programs. After completing CLB8, if you successfully complete one semester of studies at Providence (minimum 4 courses), you are assumed to have CLB9 without further testing.

If you appear to be struggling academically, additional English testing may be required. This will be upon the recommendation of a professor or the Academic Deans. If the results of the testing indicate the need, you will be required to improve your English skills before resuming your regular studies.

In order to make a complete application for admission to Providence University College, please make sure to submit the following:

  • Complete the University College (Undergraduate Studies) online application form (including the non-refundable $150 CAD application fee, digital photo, and essay)
  • Medical Information Form (fillable PDF) to be completed by you and submitted by email to
  • Supervisor Reference Form (fillable PDF) to be completed by your pastor, teacher or employer. The form must be emailed to by your reference.
  • Personal Reference Form (fillable PDF) to be completed by a close friend. The form must be emailed to by your reference.
  • Residence Information Form (fillable PDF) if you are planning on living in our on-campus residence
  • Submit official secondary school transcripts by post to Providence, Attn; Enrollment, 10 College Crescent, Otterburne, MB R0A 1G0, Canada
  • Official English Language test scores (IELTS, TOEFL, etc). Please check our English Language Requirements section

Once all of the above documents, your application will be assessed for admission. If you are accepted, you will be asked to make a $300 CAD Confirmation of Enrollment deposit (non-refundable) before your letter of acceptance is issued.

International students wishing to apply to Providence University College are required to meet two conditions:

  1. Show that you have the right English Proficiency level to study at the university level
  2. Demonstrate that you have the right entrance requirements for general admission as shown below


Entrance Requirements by Country

To look at the entrance requirements by country, please click on the link below: Make sure to also check whether your country of citizenship is exempt from the English Language Proficiency requirement

Click here to view Entrance Requirements by Country

In order to make a complete application for admission to the Seminary, please make sure to submit the following:

  • Complete the online application form (including the non-refundable $150 CAD application fee, digital photo, and essay)
  • Church Reference Form to be completed by your pastor and emailed directly by the pastor to
  • Professional Reference Form to be completed by your employer and emailed directly by the employer to
  • Personal Reference Form to be completed by your close friend and emailed directly by him/her to
  • Official and valid English Language test scores (IELTS, TOEFL, etc). Please check our English Language Requirements section above. Test scores must not be more 2 years from the time you apply for admission.
  • Submit official university/college transcripts
  • If you are applying to the Applied Counselling Certificate / M.A in Counselling / M.A. in Counselling Psychology / M.Div Pastoral Counselling track / M.A. Educational Studies Student Development track, please submit all of the above and
    • $70 CAD EQ-I assessment fee, which will be combined with your application fee in the online application form (total fee = $220 CAD)
    • EQ-I Consent Form to be completed by you and emailed to
    • Criminal Record Check from your local police, email copy of the results to and keep the original
    • Complete the EQ-I Test, which will be sent to you by email

Once the above documents have all been received, we will assess your application and inform you of the admission decision. If you are accepted, a $300 CAD Confirmation of Enrollment deposit (non-refundable) will be required before your letter of acceptance is issued

As a student from a country other than Canada or the United States, you must send full details of your academic background, including official transcripts from your high school or post-secondary institution. Graduation from a recognized high school program is mandatory. You are required to have a study permit in order to attend Providence and to prove you have the funds to pay for your first year of study, including tuition, books, fees, living expenses and travel to and from Canada.

To reduce the potential for fraud or misuse of the program while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education and improving services to genuine students, the following rules came into force on June 1, 2014. These rules:

  • Limit the issuance of study permits to applicants who will be studying at a designated learning institution, including institutions that are designated by provinces and territories on the basis of meeting minimum standards;
  • Require students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada; and
  • Allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part time off campus and full time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.

Seminary Entrance Requirements

Students must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 2 full years of study (60 credit hours). Please note that some programs may have a higher GPA requirement or additional pre-requisites.

Study Permits

You must come with a study permit if you plan to study at Providence. You can apply for a study permit online or at any Canadian Visa Office in your country. Apply as soon as possible because processing times for Study Permits can range from six to eight weeks depending on the location of the Canada Visa Office. A study permit is not an entry document.

To obtain a study permit, you will need to have the following documents:

  1. A valid passport (recommended) or driver’s license and birth certificate and marriage (if applicable) certificates.
  2. Your "letter of acceptance" from Providence along with the designated Learning Institute number.
  3. Proof that you have enough money to support yourself (and any dependents) for your first year in Canada (i.e., bank statements, letters from people supporting you financially, etc.).
  4. A letter from your sponsoring organization, if you are being sponsored.

A fee will be required to obtain your study permit. If your spouse or family is accompanying you, they must have proper identification as well (passports or driver’s license and birth certificates). Your children (under 18 years old) will not need study permits to attend school in Canada as long as a parent holds a valid study permit. A study permit allows you to work in Canada for 20 hours during the semester or full-time during the four-month summer break.

Post Graduate Work Permit

Once you graduate from a Providence Degree program you may also be eligible to obtain a one-to-three-year Post Graduation Work Permit to work anywhere in Canada. A fee will be required to obtain any work permit.

Other Available Work Permits:

  • Spouse Work Permit: Allows the spouse of a full-time Providence student to work and support the family.
  • Work Permits: Available to help complete degree programs that require work experience, an internship, or a practicum. Providence will inform you if you need a Work Permit for entry into your program.

If you have a Study Permit you may work in Canada until your permit runs out. You must apply for a PGWP before. You will, however, be required to complete an immigration medical examination in order to be able to work with children or in health care settings. For more information, please contact our International Student Services Coordinator.

Transit Visas

Many countries require a Transit Visa if you are going to be travelling through them on your way to Canada. If you are travelling through other countries on your way to Canada, be sure to ask your travel agent if you need Transit Visas for those countries.

Application Fees (CAD$ 150 - non-refundable)

Your application fee can be paid via the following methods. 

Confirmation of Enrollment deposit (CAD$ 300 - non-refundable)