Home 9 Admissions 9 Accepted International Students

Accepted International Students

Now that you have applied to Providence, and have been accepted, these are your next steps:

1. Please read your acceptance letter carefully and all the details contained in it. Make sure you are aware of your acceptance (whether you have been directly accepted into the program, or if you are required to take additional English Language courses).

2. Apply for your visa/study permit. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for more information.

3. Explore different ways you can be a part of the community here at Providence by visiting the Campus Life page.

4. Know the available methods of payment for tuition and fees and the deadline to pay your tuition and fees.

5. Know the dates when you are supposed to be at Providence so that you can participate in the Orientation Days.

6. Inform the International Student Services Coordinator or International Enrollment Officer (contact details at the bottome of this page) about the result of your visa application so we can make arrangements to pick you up from the Winnipeg James Richardson International Airport.

7. Once you are here, we will help you getting registered for courses.

Methods of Payment – Tuition Fees

International students must pay all of their tuition and fees in full by the due dates. Payment may be made by:

  1. FLYWIRE: This service allows you to make payments using debit, credit and bank transfer.
  2. In Person: You can make a payment using personal cheques, bank drafts, and e-transfers from a Canadian bank.

NOTE: Students accepted into our Providence Downtown MASTER of MANAGEMENT Program must make tuition payments through the PayMyTuition website. This service allows you to make payments using debit, credit and bank transfer. Please refer to our program page here for more details.

Arrival and Orientation Day – Fall Semester

Please note that these dates may change, including transportation and other details. 

For the 2024-25 Fall Semester (August), arrive between:

August 25 & 27 at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport (YWG).

Free transport is provided from the Winnipeg Richardson International Airport (YWG) to the Providence campus in Otterburne. However, if you arrive earlier or after the above dates, you will be charged for Early Arrival and Airport pick-up, or you should find the ride yourself.

It would be best to arrive at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport on International Student Arrival Day. Please get in touch with the International Student Services Coordinator as soon as you have booked your flight to share your travel itinerary and coordinate the airport pick-up. A Providence representative will meet you at the airport’s baggage claim area.

* We would like to bring to your attention that there is currently no public transportation service available to access the Providence Otterburne campus.

International Orientation for the 2024-25 Fall Semester is from August 28 to 30.

All new international students are required to attend. You will be introduced to Providence and life in Manitoba and Canada during orientation.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If, for any reason, you miss the International Orientation, please be aware that you will be charged $325.00. This fee is to cover the costs for a personal orientation, which will be arranged separately. We strongly encourage you to attend the scheduled International Orientation to make the most of your time at Providence.

Student Orientation

Learn all about Providence and life in Canada during the International Student Orientation, which is mandatory for international students. International Student Service Coordinator will provide all detail by email.

Improve Your English

If you need help with English, prior to enrolling please explore our Modern Language Institute and inquire about our English as an Additional Language (EAL) program. Modern Language Institute

USA Students

We welcome students from the United States to join our diverse community. US students pay Canadian tuition rates! US Student Information

Immigration Documents

Make sure you have all your important documents before you come to Providence. Students coming to Providence need a study permit and may need other work permits, transit visas, and a social insurance number.


What to Expect at Customs
Coming to Canada begins with a stop at a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) port of entry. Planning ahead will ensure you have a worry-free border crossing. Here are a few helpful tips:

List Your Goods

Prepare a list of all the goods you are bringing into Canada, including the value, make and model/serial numbers, if applicable. Upon your arrival give your list of goods to the Canada Border Services Agent at the “port of entry.” Depending what is on your list, the Border Services Agent may give you a Temporary Admission Permit (Form E29B) . In certain circumstances, a refundable security deposit may also be required. If you ship your goods by a commercial carrier, you may choose to have the goods cleared at the first point of arrival in Canada or have them sent to the CBSA office nearest to Providence (in Winnipeg). The carrier will notify you when the goods arrive and you can clear them through border services.

As a student you may bring personal items for your stay in Canada. You can temporarily import your personal and household items free of duty and taxes. This means that in addition to clothing you may also bring furniture, tableware, silverware, appliances and even motor vehicles. The following conditions will apply to the goods that you bring with you:

  • The goods cannot be used by a resident of Canada;
  • you are not permitted to sell or dispose of the goods in Canada;
  • and you must take all non-consumable items with you when you leave the country at the end of your stay.

You may also bring gifts worth up to CDN$60 each for your friends or relatives in Canada without paying duty, as long as these do not consist of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products. Do not wrap gifts until after you have cleared the border, since an examination may be required.

Carry Appropriate Identification

Canadian law requires that anyone entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. To enter Canada you will require a valid passport and, depending on your citizenship, you may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). To find out if you require a TRV, review this list .

Identify Your Children

If you are travelling with children, you should carry identification for them regardless of their age. If you plan on arriving as a single parent travelling with your child/children, a letter of permission may be required that contains contact information of the other parent or legal guardian. If you have legal custody of the child/children or if you share custody, please have copies of relevant legal documents, such as custody rights.

If you plan to travel to Canada with children who are not your own or for whom you do not have full legal custody, CBSA may require you to present a notarized letter of consent from the child’s parents or legal guardians.

Public Health

If you have an illness upon arriving in Canada, or if you have been in close contact with someone with a communicable disease, you must inform a border services agent, who can determine if you require further assessment.


If you are importing or exporting monetary instruments equal to or greater than CDN$10,000 (or the equivalent in a foreign currency), whether in cash or other monetary instrument, you must report this amount to the Canadian Border Services Agency when you arrive or before you leave Canada. Learn More.

Restricted Items

There are many restrictions on importing items into Canada. Restrictions apply to firearms, weapons, explosives, fireworks, ammunition, obscenity, hate propaganda, child pornography, illicit drugs and other products that pose a danger to the public. There are also controls and restrictions on importing plants, animals, animal products and food items. Without the proper documentation, the CBSA may seize or order the removal of certain food, plants, animals or their related products. To avoid problems do not bring these types of items into Canada. Also, in Canada health products may be regulated differently than they are in other countries. Drugs that are available without a prescription in one country may require a prescription in Canada. Canada has restrictions on the quantities and types of health products that can be brought in. Bring any required medications in the original containers (with labels) and show them to the border services agent.

If you have any questions, contact the 24-hour telephone Border Information Service (BIS) line within Canada at 1-800-461-9999 or from outside Canada by calling 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064. Learn More about Canadian Border Services Agency.

What to Bring
Before you leave for Canada, please review the Immigration Documents section on this page.

Checklist of Items to Bring

The following immigration and travel documents must be with you when you enter Canada:

  • Study/Work Permit (or Letter of Introduction from Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate); a Study Permit is not required if you plan to study a short term program of less than 6 months
  • Temporary Resident Visa (a TRV is required if your citizenship is from a designated country, see Citizenship and Immigration)
  • Proof of finances (bank statement or letter from supporters)
  • Acceptance letter from Providence
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Travel health insurance so you have health coverage until your first day of classes
  • Any necessary medical information and enough medication for you to use until you can see a doctor in Canada; this can take time so plan to have a minimum of a month’s medication
  • Plane ticket with confirmation numbers to allow easy check-in
  • A list of emergency contacts, including telephone numbers and email addresses
  • Shampoo
  • Soap
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Hygiene products
  • Warm clothing and a winter coat if you arrive for the winter semester. If you cannot purchase a coat in your country, contact the International Student Services Coordinator
  • Photos of your family and friends (optional)
  • Allowable food or snack items (optional)
Health Insurance

Due to the recent decision on the part of Manitoba Health to rescind free International Student Medical Insurance, Providence will work hard to have affordable options for International students and their families available.

To learn more, contact our International Student Services Coordinator.


Social Insurance Number

Social Insurance Number

You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs. You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN for on-campus work:

  • May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If your study permit does not have one of the above conditions or remarks, you must submit a request for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request.

Contact Us