Apply Visit Give
USA Students.jpg

USA Student Information

By applying to Providence, you’ve demonstrated that you are ready for an education that integrates faith and learning. You’ll learn in a diverse community where students from outside of Canada represent 18 percent of our student population. Providence is accredited by United States-based accrediting organizations, which means the degree you earn will have value in the world. Our location is just one-hour north of the Canada/USA border which will make it easy for you to return to the US for holidays and other breaks.

Do you still need to apply to Providence? Let's get started.

We're Here for You

This USA student-focused information should provide the answers to the questions you have. If we can be of further assistance, please email us at or call us at 1-800-668-7768. We’ll be here to support you — now and in the future.

Have mail to send to us? Please feel free to use our American postal address:

P.O. Box 129
Lancaster, MN

Providence will help you discover your program so that you can use your unique talents and skills for serving others in your future career.

You’ll deepen your faith through Christ-centred courses, Bible studies, prayer groups and interactions with Christian mentors and students.

As an American, your cost to attend Providence is significantly lower than comparable schools in the US. Learn More

A completed Grade 12 high school certificate with at least five university preparatory credits (academic subjects). Currently, ACT/SAT scores are not required for entrance. However, you are welcome to include them with your application

  • Complete the online application (including the non-refundable $50 CAD application fee, digital photo, and essay).
  • Residence Information Form (fillable PDF) if you are planning on living in our on-campus residence (mandatory if you are under 20 years of age)
  • Submit official high school transcripts either by mail or by email (directly from your high school)

All students entering studies at Providence Theological Seminary are admitted only to the Seminary, and not to a degree program. Thus, all students admitted are on probation for either one semester (for those in certificate and two-year M.A. programs) or two semesters (for those in the three-year M.A. programs). If a student is judged by the faculty (or by the Academic Committee acting on its behalf) to have character, emotional, or academic aspects which would hinder effective ministry or the successful completion of the program they desire to enter, they may be denied entry to that program.

Academic Prerequisites

In addition to a completed application and references, you're required to have an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution. You must have attained a minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4-point scale) in the last 2 full years of study (60 credit hours). Some programs may specify a higher GPA requirement or additional prerequisites, listed in the degree program descriptions. If you do not have a recognized degree you may qualify for admission as a Mature (over age 30) student or Non-Accredited Degree student.

Note: Particular prerequisites may be required depending on the program you choose. Please see the degree program descriptions in the Academic Catalogue.

Probationary Acceptance Students

Probationary acceptance may be offered to students who meet all admissions criteria except the entrance GPA requirement. Students with an entrance GPA between 2.0 and 2.5 may be considered but admission is not guaranteed. Probationary conditions will apply and will be assigned on a case-by-case basis by the Admissions Committee. Conditions may include, but are not limited to:

  • Enrolling in a certificate program in the first semester
  • Mandatory participation in tutoring services
  • Limited course load
  • Mandatory enrollment in assigned courses
  • Regular meetings with a faculty advisor
  • Completion of additional undergraduate credits prior to or concurrent with Seminary enrollment

Reassessment for Regular Student status and formal acceptance to a program will occur at least one semester after probationary conditions have been met.

Regular Students

All students who have met the entrance requirements are classified as regular students (probationary status not-withstanding). Those taking nine or more credit hours per semester are considered full-time; those taking fewer are considered part-time.

Mature Students & Non-Accredited Degree Students

If you haven't obtained a Bachelor's Degree you may be able to apply as a mature student. You must be at least 30 years old and be able to demonstrate academic aptitude through one of the following:

  • Submit an official GRE (Graduate Record Examination) score. Minimum scores of 153 in the verbal section and 4.5 in the analytical section are required. Providence's institutional code for the GRE is 6585.
  • If you have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4-point scale) from another graduate institution you may be considered for admission if the other graduate institution is considered equivalent to Providence.
  • Submit an RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) portfolio for assessment. Fees apply.

If you have a degree from a non-accredited institution you can apply as a Non-Accredited Degree student. There is no age restriction.

Note: The Association of Theological Schools (ATS), our accrediting body, limits the number of students we can admit as Mature or Non-Accredited degree students, except in cases where students' RPL portfolio or Non-Accredited Degree is determined to be the educational equivalent of an accredited Bachelor's Degree.

You will be assessed according to program vacancies, and the merits of you application. If you're entering the M.A. (Theological Studies) or the M.A. (Christian Studies) programs, you're not eligible for Mature or Non-Accredited Degree status.

Special Students

Students who wish to take courses at Providence but are not ready to complete a full application at the time may submit an Special Student Application for special student status. Students can take a maximum of 15 credit hours of study after which, a full application to Providence Theological Seminary is required to take further classes. Students may take any courses for which they meet the prerequisites (students wishing to take Seminary courses must provide an undergraduate degree prior to registration).

Continuing Education Units

Some professional organizations require continuing education units to maintain credentials in the organization. Seminary courses can be taken for continuing education units. Students may request a transcript for the course that can be used as proof to the credentialing organization. Whether the course can be audited or must be taken for credit is up to the credentialing organization. Credit or audit fees apply, as well as a fee for an official transcript.


Students auditing courses are not required to complete assignments or take examinations but may attend classes for their personal enrichment. Those who audit courses receive no credit, but must register and attend classes regularly if they wish the audited course to appear on their transcript. Changes from audit to credit or from credit to audit must be made during the first two weeks of the semester. Some courses may be closed to auditors. All audits are subject to the instructor's approval. Please contact the Registrar's Office for more information.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If there are discrepancies between the credit transfer information listed here and in the Academic Calendar, the Academic Calendar is definitive.

Follow this application checklist to make sure you don't miss a step:

  • Complete and submit online application (found here:, including:
    • Autobiographical essay (12 pt., single-spaced, 400 words minimum)
    • Self-study (Doctor of Ministry applicants only)
    • Applicant Agreement/Covenant of Community Life affirmation
  • Provide a recent photo of yourself only (no larger than 2" x 2.5")
  • Pay the non-refundable application fee ($50 for Canadian/USA students; $150 for international students)
  • Pay the $70 fee for EQ-I assessment if applying for Applied Counselling / Counselling / Counselling Psychology / M.Div. Pastoral Counselling track / M.A. Educational Studies Student Development track (applicable to Canadian/USA/International Students)
  • Vulnerable Sector/Child Abuse Registry and Criminal Record Check (or equivalents) for Applied Counselling / Counselling / Counselling Psychology / M.Div Pastoral Counselling track / M.A. Educational Studies Student Development track (applicable to Canadian/USA/International Students). Obtain from your local law enforcement and/or provincial family services agency, email copy of results, keep originals.
  • Pay the non-refundable deposit of $800 if a Doctor of Ministry applicant
  • Arrange submission of official post-secondary transcripts
  • Complete and submit a Medical Information Form (this is a fillable form that you can type on using a PDF Reader).
  • Secure the following (these are also fillable forms that you can send to your referee to submit to us directly to
  • Request housing information by contacting the Student Services Coordinator
  • Sign and return the EQ-i Consent Form (if applying for Applied Counselling / Counselling / Counselling Psychology / M.Div. Pastoral Counselling track / M.A. Educational Studies Student Development track)
  • Complete the EQ-I Test, which will be sent to you via email after you have completed the application (this applies only to Applied Counselling / Counselling / Counselling Psychology / M. Div. Pastoral Counselling track / M.A. Educational Studies Student Development track)
  • Send your completed application to:

Enrollment Office
Providence Theological Seminary
10 College Crescent
Otteburne, MB R0A 1G0

Toll Free: 1-800-668-7768
Fax: 204-433-7158

Application Policy

In admitting students, Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, nationality or ethnic origin. Personal information in your application packet is used solely to facilitate your application process.

As a new student to Providence, you will be picked up at the Winnipeg’s James Armstrong Richardson International Airport by our International Student Services Coordinator or by a student International Assistant. They will meet you at the airport’s baggage claim area. Please email the International Student Services Coordinator your flight information as soon as you have booked your flight.

In some cases because of scheduling conflicts, another Providence representative may pick you up. Please note that there is no bus or train service to the Providence campus.

  • International Student Arrival Dates: There are set days for international students to arrive. If you arrive on the allotted International Student Arrival Dates, you will not be charged for pick up.
  • International Student Orientation Days: Check the Providence Important Dates for orientation dates. All international students, including USA students, are required to attend. During orientation you will learn about Canada, As an international student, you will be introduced to Canada, the Province of Manitoba and Providence. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you miss orientation you will be charged $325.00 to cover the costs for personal orientation.

If you stay in residence during orientation the cost is $35 per day for room and meals until the residences officially open and your meal plan starts. 

Coming into Canada from the USA begins with a stop at a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) port of entry. Planning ahead will ensure you have a worry-free border crossing. When entering Canada, you must show Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant documents, such as a passport book or passport card. If you are a permanent resident of the US you must show your Permanent Resident Card (green card).

Make sure you have all your important documents before you come to Providence. Students coming to Providence need a study permit and may need other work permits, transit visas, and a social insurance number.

Manitoba recognizes American driver licenses and license plates as long as you are a student. When you are driving in Canada, make sure you always have your valid USA driver’s license and your Providence student ID card as proof of your student status. To learn more, contact Manitoba Public Insurance or contact our International Student Services Coordinator.

Due to the recent decision on the part of Manitoba Health to rescind free International Student Medical Insurance, Providence will work hard to have affordable options for International students and their families available.

To learn more, contact our International Student Services Coordinator.