Build a Biology Foundation at Providence
No matter what career you have in mind for your future, having a sound education in the sciences will set you apart. At Providence, you’ll benefit from a top-notch General Biology program offered at one of Canada’s best Christian universities. Your science professors are passionate about research and teaching that will help you achieve your goals. They integrate Christianity into your courses so that you’ll have a firm foundation in science as well as in your Christian faith. You’ll learn in state-of-the-art facilities with advanced projection equipment and a new lab with everything from innovative Olympus microscopes to lab benches for team learning.
You can also take your science prerequisites for nursing, pharmacy, medicine and kinesiology at Providence! You’ll develop skills and competencies that are central to community and global development careers and post-graduate studies.
Join us on one of our information sessions to hear more about the program, application/admission process and what makes Providence a unique place for you to get your university education. You can find upcoming sessions here (under University College Sessions).
|BSc||General Biology Major||3 Years|
|Minor||Science||Combine w/ any Major|
For Entrance into the General Biology program
The prerequisite for entry into the General Biology major is a grade of “C” or better in any introductory biology course. For students who have taken additional courses toward the minor, a minimum GPA of 2.00 is required on all courses, excluding failed courses.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please look to the Academic Calendar for full information and course lists. If there are discrepancies between the information listed here and in the Academic Calendar, the Academic Calendar is definitive.
- Introduction to Biology 1 + Lab
- Christian Spirituality
- Open Science elective course (e.g. Essentials of Microbiology, Human Anatomy 1 + Lab, Introduction to Chemistry 1 + Lab)
- Introduction to Communications & Media
- Field Education (volunteer practicum)
Winter (January) courses
- Introduction to Biology 2 + Lab
- Statistical Analysis
- Reading the Bible in the Christian Tradition
- Open Science elective course (e.g. Essentials of Microbiology, Human Anatomy, Introduction to Chemistry 2 + Lab)
- Open Psychology/Sociology/Anthropology course (e.g. Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Sociology)
Transferability of Courses (to the University of Manitoba)
The following courses are transferable to the University of Manitoba:
- Introduction to Biology 1 + Lab transfers as BIOL 1020 Bioprinciples
- Introduction to Biology 2 + Lab transfers as BIOL 1030 Biodiversity
- Essentials of Microbiology transfers as MBIO 1220 Essential Micro
- Human Anatomy, Histology, Physiology (6 credit hours) transfers as BIOL 1410 Anat Human Body and BIOL 1412 Phys Human Body
- Introduction to Chemistry 1 transfers as CHEM 1300 Structur Model
- Introduction to Chemistry 2 transfers as CHEM 1310 Intro Phys Chem
Updated: Nov 6 2019
Rebecca Dielschneider, Ph.D. (Program Coordinator)
Associate Professor of Biology
Assistant Professor of Environmental Science