Address 2 - 38 Elliott Trail, Thorndale, ON N0M 2P0
Direct Line 1-519-461-9922
Department FACULTY - EMERITI
Professor Emeritus of Systematic Theology and Ethics
Ateneo de Manila University (PH)
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
University of St. Michael’s College, Toronto (ON)
Westminster Theologicla Seminary (PA)
Master of Theology (Th.M.)
Wheaton College Graduate School (IL)
Master of Arts (M.A.)
Waterloo Lutheran University [now Wilfred Laurier University] (ON)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
London College of Bible and Missions [now Tyndale University College] (ON)
Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.)
- Systematic Theology
- Historical Theology
- 2006 – Present: Providence Theological Seminary, Faculty Emeritus
- 1989 – 2006: Providence College and Seminary, Faculty
- 1986 – 1989: Ontario Bible College, Vice-President Academic and Student Affairs
- 1975 – 1986: Asian Theological Seminary, Faculty
- 1973 – 1974: FEBIAS College of Bible, Faculty
- 1970 – 1986: SEND International, Missionary in Philippines
- 1968 – 1969: Marimont Baptist Church, Assistant Pastor
- 1967 – 1968: London College of Bible and Missions, Faculty
- Canadian Evangelical Theological Association
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Associate, Theological Commission of the World Evangelical Alliance
- “Does Calvinism Have Room for Middle Knowledge? A Conversation” (with Paul Helm), “A Response to John Laing’s Criticisms of Hypothetical Knowledge Calvinism,” and “A Calvinist Perspective in the Conversation about Middle Knowledge.” In Calvinism and Middle Knowledge: A Conversation, ed. Laing, John D, Kirk R. MacGregor, and Greg Welty, 95-117; 157-183; 202-220. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2019.
- “The Church in God’s Program of Salvation: A Baptist Perspective.” In Ecclesia Semper Reformanda Est: The Church is Always Reforming. A festschrift on ecclesiololgy in honour of Stanley K. Fowler on his seventieth birthday, ed. David G. Barker, Michael A.G. Haykin, and Barry H. Howson, 91-113. Joshua Press, 2016.
- “My Long Journey to Annihilationism,” in A Consuming Passion: Essays on Hell and Immortality in Honor of Edward Fudge, ed. Christopher M. Date and Ron Highfield, 17-31. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2015.
- “Redemptoris Missio, Into All the World,” in The Legacy of John Paul II, ed. Tim Perry. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2007.
- Who Can Be Saved: Reassessing Salvation in Christ and World Religions. InterVarsity Press, 2004.
- “Can God Be Responsive if the Future is Not Open?,” in Semper Reformandum: Studies in Honour of Clark H. Pinnock. Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Anthony R. Cross. Carlisle, UK: Paternoster Press, 2003. (Also in Didaskalia 18/1 [Winter 2007]: 121-39.)
- “Does Yahweh Take Risks?,” in Teach Me Your Paths: Studies in Old Testament Literature and Theology. Edited by John Kessler and Jeffrey P. Greenman. Clements Publishing, 2001. (Also in Didaskalia 18/1 [Winter 2007]: 97-120.)
- Providence and Prayer: How Does God Work in the World? Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- “Gnosticism as Heresy: The Response of Irenaeus,” in Hellenization Revisited: Shaping a Christian Response within the Greco-Roman World. Edited by Wendy E. Helleman. New York: University Press of America, 1994. (Also in Didaskalia 18/1 [Winter 2007]: 31-48.)
- Irenaeus on the Salvation of the Unevangelized. ATLA Monograph Series, No. 31. Metuchen, N. J: Scarecrow Press, 1993.
- “Irenaeus,” and “Providence,” in Dictionary of Christian Spirituality, gen. ed. Glen G. Scorgie. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Academic, 2011.
- “Hell” and “Universalism,” in Global Dictionary of Theology: A Resource for the Worldwide Church, eds. William A. Dyrness and Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen, assoc. eds. Juan Francisco Martinez and Simon Chan. Downers Grove, Ill.: IVP Academic, 2008.
- “The Salvation of the Unevangelized in the Light of God’s Covenants,” Evangelical Review of Theology 36/3 (July 2012):231-49. Helm, Paul and Terrance L. Tiessen.
- “Does Calvinism Have Room for Middle Knowledge?,” Westminster Theological Journal 71/2 (Fall 2009): 437-54.
- “Stricken by God?: A Review Article,” in Theodidaktos 4/1 (April 2009): 3-16.
- “Salvation and the Religions: An Accessibilist Perspective,” Mission Focus: Annual Review Vol. 15 (2007): 5-26.
- “Why Calvinists Should Believe in Divine Middle Knowledge, Although They Reject Molinism,” Westminster Theological Journal 69 (2007): 345-66.
- Tiessen and James M. Hamilton. “Who Can Be Saved? Critical Dialogue Over a Recent Review. Response to James M. Hamilton Jr. Rejoinder to Terrance Tiessen.” Trinity Journal 28/2 (Fall 2007): 291-94.
- “Response to Clark Pinnock [“Acts 4:12: No Other Name Under Heaven”],” The Canadian Evangelical Review 28 (Autumn 2004): 17-20.
- “God, Time and Knowledge: What Does God Know and When Does God Know It?” Proceedings, Currents in Biblical and Theological Dialogue 2 (2003): 98-121. (Also in Didaskalia 18/1 [Winter 2007]: 141-63.)
- “God’s Work of Grace in the Context of the Religions,” Evangelical Review of Theology 27/3 (July 2003): 247-67. (Also in Didaskalia 18/1 [Winter 2007]: 165-91.)
- “Proclaiming Jesus Christ as the One Universal Savior and Lord in a World of Religious and Secular Pluralism [WEF working group report],” Evangelical Review of Theology 21 (Jan 1997): 15–18.
- “Divine Justice and Universal Grace: A Calvinistic Proposal,” Evangelical Review of Theology 21/1 (Jan 1997): 63–83. (Also in Didaskalia 18/1 [Winter 2007]: 71-96.)
- “Peut-on definir une ethique universelle a partir de l’Ecriture?,” Hokhma: Revue de reflexion theologique 63 (1996): 19–44.
- “Irenaeus and Modern Responses to the Challenge of Religious Pluralism,” ATA Journal 4/2 (July 1996): 30–51. (Also in Didaskalia 18/1 [Winter 2007]: 49-69.)
- “Can the Unevangelized Be Saved?: A Review Article,” Didaskalia 4/2 (Fall 1993): 77–91.
- “Christian Theology in the Third World: A Look at the Issues,” Didaskalia 4/2 (Fall 1993)
- “Toward a Hermeneutic for Discerning Universal Moral Absolutes,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 36/2 (June 1993): 189–207. (Also in Didaskalia 18/1 [Winter 2007]: 5-29.)
- “To Eat or Not to Eat?” Journal for Case Teaching 3 (Fall 1991):143–148.
- “Irenaeus on Salvation and the Millennium,” Didaskalia 3/1 (Oct 1991):2–5.
- “The Optimistic Activism of Postmillennial Eschatology,” Didaskalia 3/1 (Oct 1991):6–23.
- “The Biblical Basis of Relief and Development,” Evangelical Thrust, June 1979, 10–14; July 1979, 22–24; August 1979; September 1979, 13–15; October 1979, 22–23. (Serialized publication of a paper delivered at the Consultation on Relief and Development, sponsored by the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches, April 9, 1979.)
Presented or Distributed Manuscripts
- “God’s Covenants: A Ground for Hopefulness Regarding the Unevangelized.” a paper presented at the Evangelical Theological Society Meetings in San Francisco, November 16, 2011.
- “Is God’s Knowledge of Counterfactuals Necessary, Middle or Free?: A Calvinistic Proposal,” at the annual meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Valley Forge, Penna., November 17, 2005.
- “God’s Work of Grace in the Context of the Religions: A Reformed Proposal.” Read at the Evangelical Theological Society, Toronto, Nov 20, 2002.
- “Can God be Responsive but Risk Free?” Read at the Evangelical Theological Society, Nashville, Tennessee, Nov 16, 2000.
- “The Universal Salvific Work of the Holy Spirit: Reducing the Scandal of Calvinism.” Read at the Evangelical Theological Society, Jackson, Mississippi, Nov. 22, 1996.
- “Providence and Prayer: A Critique of Ten Models,” presented to the Christian Doctrine Group, The Tyndale Fellowship, Cambridge, UK, July 4, 1996 (41 pgs.).
- “The Salvation of the Unevangelized: A Position Paper,” distributed to members of the International Council of SEND International, January, 1996 (32 pgs.).
- “Irenaeus on the Salvation of the Unevangelized,” a paper read at the annual meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, Washington, D.C., November 19, 1993.
- “Toward a Hermeneutic for Discerning Universal Moral Absolutes and Applying Them in Contemporary Contexts,” a paper read at the annual meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 15, 1990.
- “Dealing with the Moral and Legal Problems in Marriage Breakdowns: A Draft Paper for the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches Commission on Theology.” October 4, 1985 (4 pgs.).
- “Evangelical Perspectives on the Law of God,” four lectures in Ethics, presented at the Winter Academic Lectureship, Western Conservative Baptist Seminary, Portland, Oregon, February, 1985.
- “Divorce, Remarriage and Missionary Service: A Study Paper for SEND International Council,” February, 1984. (20 pgs.)
Reviews have been published in the following journals:
- Canadian Theological Society Newsletter
- Evangelical Review of Theology
- Reformed Review
- Westminster Theological Journal
Guest Lecturing and Research Relationships
- Researcher, Tyndale House, Cambridge, UK, May, 2005
- Visiting lecturer, Tyndale Theological Seminary, Toronto, June, 2001
- Research Fellow at Yale University Divinity School, Jan – April, 2001
- Senior Mission Scholar, Overseas Ministry Studies Center, Jan – April, 2001
- Visiting lecturer, Associated Canadian Theological Schools, Trinity Western University, Langley, BC, March, 1998
- Visiting Scholar, Wycliffe Hall, Oxford, England, 1995-96
- Visiting lecturer, Tyndale Theological Seminary, Badhoevedorp, Netherlands, November, 1995
- Visiting lecturer, Northwest Baptist Theological Seminary, Vancouver, June, 1988
- Winter Academic Lectureship, Western Conservative Baptist Seminary, Portland, Oregon, Feb., 1985