Home 9 Admissions 9 Financing Your Education 9 Government Assistance

Government Assistance

Student loans are a common and effective way to help finance your post-secondary education. Providence students can apply for Canada Student Loans, Provincial Government Loans and United States Direct Loans.

Provincial Government Loans

Manitoba Residents

Manitoba Government Loans are awarded to Manitoba residents on the basis of need and are given in conjunction with Canada Student Loans. Helpful Overview of Student Aid

Other Provinces

Students are eligible to apply for loans from their respective provincial government. Select your province from the list below:

Alberta Northwest Territories Prince Edward Island
British Columbia Nova Scotia Quebec 
Manitoba Nunavut Saskatchewan
New Brunswick  Ontario Yukon
Newfoundland and Labrador     


Semester Dates to Apply
Fall 2021 Sep 8 – Dec 17
Winter 2022 Jan 3 – Apr 22
Summer 2022 May 1 – Aug 31

Apply for my Provincial Loan

Canadian Student Grants

A Canada Student Grant is money you receive to pay for college or university that you don’t have to pay back. It is essentially “free money”. Canada Student Grants are available to students from most provinces and territories except those from the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Quebec. These governments have their own student financial assistance programs.

If you qualify for a Canada Student Loan, you are automatically assessed for most Canada Student Grants, with the exception of the Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities, which requires a separate application. You may be eligible to receive more than one grant.

Apply for Canada Student Grant

Canadian Student Loans

Student loans are offered by the Government of Canada to help students pay for their time at Providence and are offered to eligible full and part-time post-secondary students in most provinces and territories. Students should apply for Canada Student Loans at least eight weeks prior to registration to ensure adequate processing time.

Repayment of a loan begins six months after graduation, or six months after the student completes his/her academic work if it is prior to graduation. Students, however, are urged to keep their borrowing as low as possible, remembering that after graduation these loans must be repaid at a time when other financial obligations may be heavy.

The following dates should be used for 2022-2023 student loan applications:

  • Fall 2022 [September 7, 2022 – December 16, 2022]
  • Winter 2023 [January 9, 2023 – April 21, 2023]
  • Summer 2023 [May 1, 2023 – August 31, 2023]​


Apply for Student Loan


US Direct Loans

The U.S. Department of Education has approved Providence University College for purposes of the Direct Loan Program (subsidized, unsubsidized & PLUS loans). Please notify your Enrollment Officer if you have completed the FAFSA. The U.S. Department of Education requires Providence to notify Direct Loan recipients of our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy and Return of Title IV (R2T4) Policy. The institutional code number to be used on loan application forms is G12274.

Once you have completed your FAFSA, please contact the Financial Aid Administrator to inform them you have done so.

Apply for Direct Loan

Please consult further Consumer Information here.

Get Student Loan Advice