Apply Visit Give
Alumuni

Alumni of the Year

2020 Alumni of the Year

Traditionally, Providence selects two Alumni – one from our University College and the other from our Seminary – to tell their story and serve as an inspiration to you, our graduating class. This year, our ‘Alumni of the Year’ are Cliff Heide and Bruce Peters. Both send their congratulations to the Class of 2020 and send their best wishes for your next adventure!

CLIFF HEIDE

Cliff Heide is Providence’s University College’s 2020 “Alumnus of the Year.” Since graduating from Providence in 2001 with a BA in Youth Leadership, Cliff has served with Youth for Christ Winnipeg for the past 19 years. Cliff first worked at the Edge Skatepark for 15 years and has spent the last five years serving in senior leadership roles in YFC both locally and nationally. In January 2020, Cliff moved into the role of Executive Director of YFC Winnipeg, leading with support, vision and mission focus. He attends the Winnipeg Centre Vineyard Church where he serves as an elder with his wife, Krista. Together, they have three children and live in Winnipeg.

In his own words

“Through the years of working in a ministry vocation, I’ve often marveled at how unique ministry work is; it is truly a ‘job’ like no other. The call to devote your life and service towards nurturing the spiritual journey of others is a significant undertaking, and it carries a large responsibility. At the same time, we recognize that first and foremost this is God’s work, and any sort of role we play in this work is only because God chooses to use broken people to extend His love and care to the world.”

“This picture of how we can all be involved in sharing the hope of Christ with one another is quite a beautiful thing. Many times, I am drawn into deep gratitude, marveling that I’ve been able to serve in a job that, though it may be challenging and messy at times, is also rich with meaning. There is a unique level of fulfillment that comes from being able to show love and care for others in the name of Jesus. In my work with YFC, I feel both humbled and honoured to think that God is using me for His purpose in a place He has called me to.”

BRUCE PETERS

Bruce Peters was named Providence Theological Seminary’s 2020 Alumnus of the Year. He graduated in 1978 with a Master of Divinity and then worked for 38 years at Providence as the Director of Bookstore Services. Under Bruce’s management, a small "Book Nook" flourished, and at its height, generated sales of more than $600,000 a year. Inevitably, university bookstores began to lose sales to online vendors, and the store was closed in 2014.  Bruce then went on to join Advancing Indigenous Missions (AIM) at their Canadian headquarters in Winnipeg, MB and frequently travels in Southeast Asia training pastors and missionaries. He lives in Kleefeld, MB with his wife, Elaine.

About His Calling Into Missions

When Bruce Peters was 10 years old, he heard a missionary ask a question: “Since every believer has to be involved in the mission of Christ, and since the mission of Christ is to reach the world, what is your place in it?” Though young, Bruce took that question seriously and he prayed.

In answer to that prayer, he remembers receiving a vision from God of a man short in stature with a warm brown complexion. Then he heard a voice, asking, “Will you help this man?” It was a simple question, and as a child, Bruce remembers answering “yes” to God.

Now 50 years later, in what could have been his retirement years, Bruce is working for Advancing Indigenous Mission (AIM) and stepping into his calling to overseas missions.

You can read more about Bruce’s story in an article called Following God’s Call To Adventure on page 39 in our latest edition of the Eye Witness magazine.